Learn how to find the right treatment if you or a loved one is struggling with drug or alcohol addiction. The truth is that drug treatment facilities are not one-size-fits-all. You must consider several factors to decide which is right for you.
Taking the first step toward recovery can be the scariest one in many ways. However, the right program and support can leave addiction in the past. Luckily, you don’t have to do it alone when you’re ready to pursue recovery.
Let’s examine why it’s essential to be selective with treatment programs and how to make the right choice.
Why it’s Important to Find the Right Fit
Drug treatment programs all have a common goal: to help you achieve sobriety. However, not all facilities use the same treatment methods to achieve that goal. Choosing the right rehab increases your chances of recovery and maintaining recovery after the program.
You’ll need to decide what treatment program is right for you, how long it will last, and how much you can afford to pay for it. There’s no doubt that choosing a drug treatment program can be a daunting task. However, it’s possible with the proper considerations.
Considerations to Find the Right Treatment for You
No two journeys to recovery are the same. That means that choosing the wrong treatment option could spell trouble for your success in recovery. Luckily, making the proper considerations in your mission to find the right treatment can help you enter the right program.
Your Needs and Goals
Working to find suitable treatment options for you means you’ll need to do some self-reflection. Considering your needs and goals can help you match yourself with a program that shares similar goals.
The first step is noting what substances you need to recover from. There are drug treatment options available that specialize in helping people recover from using specific substances. Holding yourself accountable for using substances that might not seem like an issue but could hold you back from recovery is also essential.
Next, consider the state of your health. Do you have any mental or physical health diagnoses that, if treated simultaneously, could aid you in your journey to recovery? If so, treatment programs offering dual diagnosis treatment could be a great fit.
Setting attainable goals is the key to success in drug rehab. Think about what the short-term goals of recovery look like to you. Then, communicate your goals with the representatives at the drug rehab program you’re considering. Don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions – it’s the best way to find the right program.
There is no shortage of drug treatment methods to help you recover. However, not all of them will help you be successful. Understanding how a treatment program approaches recovery is essential in finding the right fit for you.
There are several approaches that treatment programs use to help you find recovery:
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT): CBT focuses on helping you examine and assess behaviors and find healthy coping mechanisms to combat them. This type of treatment is helpful because it can be paired with other techniques to help you battle addiction.
- Medication: Using certain medications can aid you on your recovery journey by reducing the effects of drug withdrawal.1 Many off-label uses can help treat mental and physical health problems simultaneously.
- Individual, group, and family therapy: Using a therapeutic approach to recovery guides you to sobriety holistically. It can also help you build the support system you need to abstain from drug use in the long term.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI): MI aims to give you more motivation and commitment to reaching recovery. Though you’ll work with a therapist toward your goals, it’s ultimately up to you to decide how you will approach overcoming drug addiction.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT): DBT might be an excellent drug treatment method if strong emotions lead you to addiction. It focuses on helping clients regulate their emotions to eliminate self-sabotaging behavior.
- 12-Step Facilitation: 12-step facilitation consists of working on a program with peers that focuses on sustaining sobriety. This method provides you with a support group of people who have similar struggles and provides structure to your journey to recovery.
- Holistic treatment: >Holistic treatment options foster recovery by healing the entire person. By focusing on the mind, body, and soul, you can achieve sobriety while pursuing happiness and productivity simultaneously.
The best way to get more information on treatment methods is by speaking to a treatment provider. Providers are well-versed in the ins and outs of rehab treatment and can answer your questions and concerns. They can also help match you with a treatment plan closely matching your criteria.
Length of Treatment Program
Finding the sweet spot regarding the length of a drug treatment program is essential to your success. On average, treatment programs last anywhere from 28 to 90 days and vary in intensity. Completing a more prolonged treatment program increases your chances of staying in recovery after completion.2
Deciding what program length is right for you should be based on a few factors:
- Severity of addiction
- Underlying mental or physical health diagnoses
- Cost and insurance coverage for addiction treatment
- History of relapse
Each typical program length has its own set of benefits. For example, 30-day programs can help you detox and provide the tools you need to recover. The program focuses on laying a firm foundation for recovery that empowers you to take back your life once and for all.
The standard program length is around 60 days. This program offers similar benefits to a 30-day option with a few added benefits. The extra length of the program gives clients more time to find the root cause of their addiction and work through it.
Some of the most intensive drug rehab treatments can last 90 days or longer. This might be the right fit for you if you have a long-term addiction, medical needs, or a history of relapse. This long-term treatment option can allow you to recover and focus on building coping skills to help you overcome the urge to relapse. The longer you can attend treatment, the greater your chances of long-term recovery.
Cost of Treatment
Your insurance coverage and budget must be considered when finding the right fit for drug rehab. Discussing your coverage with a representative at your insurance company is a great place to start. This is especially true since you can ask for a list of drug rehab options that accept your insurance.
Even if you don’t have insurance, you can still seek high-quality treatment. Scholars and public assistance programs are available to individuals who need financial assistance.
Find the Right Treatment Today
The first step toward finding the right treatment for you is essential to fostering a positive future. The staff at Silver Sands Recovery is here to guide you through each step of the recovery process. Get in touch with us today.
About the author:
Lisa Waknin is the Founder and Director of Silver Sands Recovery, located in Prescott, Arizona. Lisa started Silver Sands Recovery after immersing herself in the addiction treatment world for several years to figure out what could be done differently to help her daughter and others like her to overcome addiction and stay sober. She believes in a hands-on treatment approach, which includes taking someone out of their environment, providing a 90-day program in a structured environment. During treatment, clients not only recover physically but also learn to live their life again. Lisa is a sought-after expert speaker for recovery support groups, charities, schools, communities, and companies wanting to educate themselves on the explosion of opiate and heroin abuse in our country and the best way to understand, treat, and beat it.